Space Week Finale: What Am I Excited For?

I love teaching about space.  I mentioned earlier that I typically spend a full class just answering the kids questions and seeing what aspects of space they are interested in.

I am always excited to see progress in space exploration.  I think it's going to be pretty crazy in 20+ years when we start seeing reality TV shows about people going into space.  But for now, here is what I am excited for when it comes to Astronomy:


The Perseid Meteor Shower: August 10-13 2013

Photo credit: Jason Gunders in Queensland, Australia
This annual meteor shower is my favorite because
1. it is warm enough to be outside for hours (unlike December's Geminids)
2. I don't have to teach the next day so I can stay up as late as I like.
3. Lots of meteors! About 1 every minute.

Gravity: In theaters October 2013

Oh, am I ever excited!  I would love to bring my 9s and 12s to see this in theaters.  It works so well with their curricula!  I would love to for both classes to analyze the accuracy of the film.  Word is that they added explosion sounds for the trailer, but the film itself would have silence.  Realistic Physics in a movie?  I can't wait to find out!

Sungrazing Comet ISON: November 28, 2013

Photo credit: NASA & ESA

On the day after Bill Nye's and my own shared birthday (coincidence?) there is potential we may be able to see a comet's tail across the sky without the aid of telescopes.  How cool would that be?!


Total Solar Eclipse: August 21, 2017

Credit: NASA

It's WAY off in the future, but there will be a total eclipse of the heart Sun in only a few years.  I can't believe that I am only 8 hours from the point that will experience the greatest eclipse!  How exciting!

I had a great week posting about Space!  I hope you enjoyed reading about it.  Don't forget to link-up your space-themed products!


Never fear teaching about Space.  It is one of the most interesting and fun topics in the Universe!

1 comment

  1. Hey - I just nominated you for the Liebster Award too! You can see it and accept @ http://mykingergarden.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!
    Stella @ My Kinder Garden

    ReplyDelete